Gillian Dooley and
Nick Turner, the editors of a new international open-access online
literary journal, are seeking interviews with writers of all kinds
for its first issue, due to be published in February 2014.
Interviews provide an opportunity for engagement
between writers and critics/literary scholars and help ground literary
criticism and theory in the reality of creative practice. They are
of interest not only to literary and creative writing scholars,
but also to many other readers. Writers in Conversation will contribute
to the resources available to researchers internationally and to
the development of a creative and engaged critical community.
* Interview subjects will be published authors,
editors or translators of literary works, defined broadly.
* There is no specific restriction on genre.
* There is no restriction on nationality or the language in which
an author writes.
* Interviews will only be published in English, though translations
into English will be considered.
* The interviewer must demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the author
and his/her work and provide an introduction, as well as explanatory
notes if necessary.
* The interviewer must undertake to clear the final interview text
with the interviewee.
* Interviewers should ideally make their own point of view and the
circumstances in which the interview is conducted explicit.
* Interviews should be at least 2000 words.
* Wherever possible, photographs of the interviewee should be included,
and other relevant illustrations will also be considered.
* Readily available interviews will not be republished. However,
proposals to republish interviews that are difficult to access in
their original form (in obscure print sources for example) are invited.
The onus of clearing copyright etc. rests on the person making the
proposal, and they should provide an introduction and explanation
of the significance of the interview.
* The interviews will not be peer reviewed.
Please send finished versions of
interviews, formatted in accordance with the journal’s Style
Guide, by 30 November 2013 to Dr Gillian Dooley, Flinders University,
Writers in Conversation is published by Flinders
University, Australia and the University of Central Lancashire,
in Conversation editorial